Though many things have been put on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic, breast cancer isn’t one of them. Because it’s so important to catch cancer early when it’s most treatable, The Breast Center has implemented strict protocols to ensure that breast screenings are done safely and efficiently, with minimal staff contact:
- Everyone who enters The Breast Center has their temperature taken and must wear a mask at all times.
- Receptionists sit behind a plastic barrier.
- When patients check in, they’re asked a series of questions, including whether they’ve recently been exposed to COVID-19 and if they have any symptoms that might suggest they have the virus.
- All rooms and surfaces are cleaned prior to and after every patient. As always, equipment is thoroughly cleaned, too.
- Patient appointments are spaced out to decrease contact with staff and other patients.
“We go out of our way to maintain the personalized level of care that we’re known for, but we also aim to optimize speed and efficiency,” says Sunny Mitchell, MD, Medical Director of The Breast Center.
The women who have come in for breast screenings tell Dr. Mitchell they’re happy with the new procedures. “They say they feel safe and secure and they’re happy to be able to get a mammogram, which they know is important for their health,” she says. “It’s one less thing to worry about in this time of uncertainty.”
To schedule a mammogram, call 845-348-7579. You’ll need a referral from your primary care provider. Don’t have one? View ours.